Thursday, February 28, 2013

Finally, A Trip to The Hollywood Museum

Early this month I was very excited to hear a friend of mine from out of the country would be in the Hollywood area for just one day and I was so pleased to get to spend some time with her. Although I didn't have too much time to think of something amazing to do I figured we could adventure to some of the tourist spots in my own backyard I never found time to visit.

So on the agenda for the day I decided to finally see something that had been on my bucket list for ages, the Hollywood Museum. I had purchased a handy dandy groupon a month or two before and since my visitor and I are both huge movie aficionados this seemed like the perfect place to start.


I have heard for years about the beautiful lobby and 'rooms' of the old historic Max Factor building that makes up the entry to what is now the Hollywood Museum and they certainly lived up to the exaggeration. I picked up so many future home furnishing ideas! ;)





Besides just the gorgeous-beyond-words entryway the connecting rooms are all significant places to any fan of Old Hollywood starlets. Including the Blondes Only room where Marilyn first became a blonde, and The Redheads Only room, where the irreplaceable Lucille Ball became a redhead.












As we continued back further into the museum we found walls covered in head shots of all my favorite movie stars of the past, props from films and frames upon frames full of autographs.







Continuing upstairs they had tons of interesting things to see from Hollywood years of the past. During my visit the rotating exhibit was based on the lovely Loretta Young, who I cannot say I'm super familiar with although I've seen one or two of her films. Her collection was so lovely, I was inspired to add some of her films to my Netflix queue once I got home that night.

Some of the other interesting items on display upstairs were costumes from Moulin Rogue, a robe worn by the always dreamy Elvis and the suit worn by the one and only superhero who owns my heart, Superman. We had fun looking at all the photos of celebrities of all eras accepting their stars on the walk of fame and receiving different accolades and such. I cannot wait to go back and oogle all the loveliness again !




After the amazing adventure through the 4 floors of the museum we'd managed to work up quite an appetite and braved the walk to one of my favorite places to people watch and eat some delicious sushi, Kabuki.




As my luck would have it the minute we walked out of the restaurant the wind kicked up and bit and it started to sprinkle and we had to hurry a bit on the walk back to my car, which now seemed so much further away. We made it back safely and decided then to visit The Griffith Observatory, a place I'd seen the outside of so many times, but never stepped my foot inside.

It was so cold and windy and the rain was spitting down, but the Hollywood lights below were still as beautiful as ever, and although our visit to the observatory was short it was lovely. What architecture!





1 comment:

  1. I can't believe I've never been there! What a gorgeous museum; I'm going to have to visit. Amazing how much muscle Superman has gained in the past 60 or so years!

    Jordan
    http://jordansvintagekitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete