Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Ticket to the Twenties

One weekend every year in September is set aside for one of my favorite small, quaint and very fun events themed in one of my favorite decades. The Ticket to the Twenties festival takes place on a few afternoon hours on Saturday and Sunday, on the beautiful historic grounds of the Homestead Museum in City of  Industry, California, and is an event I look forward to all year.

Now unlike your Gatsby Afternoon, or 'costume/theme required' events Ticket to the Twenties is not themed to a T, and most of the attendants are not only not in appropriate attire but you can buy food from food trucks and they use modern microphones, but that doesn't stop me from just scrunching my eyes and still pretending I've gone back in my time machine.

The event consists of two different areas for live music on different ends of the grounds, a theatre for viewing short silent films with live accompaniment, outdoor areas for vintage fashion shows, buying and perusing vintage goods and beautiful old automobiles, spots for learning mah-jong or to play the ukulele not to mention tours of the two homes on the premises, the gorgeous old gazebo and the gift shop full of cute, vintage inspired goods.
This year it was unfortunate that they weekend the festival fell on was a very, very uncomfortably hot weekend and therefore the outfit I had planned to wear would just not do. (certainly too warm to pull out my fur) So although my fashion suffered a blow, the day was still so fun.


Ticket to the Twenties is one of the few themed things my mother even enjoys, so it's always interesting dragging her along. This year she saw her very first Buster Keaton short! It almost felt like I was introducing my mum to my new boyfriend... well in my dreams I suppose.

Besides the Buster Keaton short (which we happened to see by chance, so I felt very lucky to have accidentally chosen it!) my favorite part of the event is always sitting on my vintage oriental silk mat on the grass and listening to Dean Mora's band. They really encompass the style and tone of the old days that I long for, though I never experienced it. I cannot stress how I long to see them more, and that anyone who enjoys old tunes really should check them out.

So until I find my time machine, or find friends who long for the old days as much as I do I will just keep looking forward to these weekends that are my tickets to the twenties.





Find out more about what I mentioned in this post at:
Homestead Museum
Mora's Modern Music

No comments:

Post a Comment